Python namespace in packages

Jeff Pitman jeff.pitman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 15:45:52 UTC 2006

On 1/12/06, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net> wrote:
> Currently in Perl packages rpmbuild detects what modules are used and
> provided by the package and creates Requires and Provides tags in the
> form of "perl(Foo::Bar)". Supposedly there are scripts that can detect
> module usage in Python apps as well and can generate the appropriate
> tags, e.g., "Provides: python(kid)". I'm just wondering why Fedora isn't
> taking advantage of this.

Because, up until now, no one wanted to mess with sorting out
upstream's inconsistent naming schemes. Perl works wonderfully because
everything you see in CPAN follows a nominally unambiguous grammar
whereas in Python, anything goes. But, the script on the mandrake
archives might be the way around this, I dunno.

--
-jeff