rawhide stability

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 17 17:54:28 UTC 2006

Erwin Rol wrote:
> The thing I am a bit afraid of is that rawhide will end up being a "2.5
> kernel". Because people hear it is so unstable and breaks a lot, many
> people will probably just wait for a RC release before really testing
> it. Just like the 2.5 kernel that nobody wanted to use, until Linus
> called it 2.6. If that happens rawhide will get less and less testing,
> and so the RC releases get more and more left over bugs. And that can't
> be good for anybody.

    Heck,  the 2.6 kernel is a "2.5" kernel these days.

    The core of the 2.6 kernel seems sound,  but there's a "permanent
revolution" in the network,  block drivers and other things that are
essential to a reliable system.

    A lot of it is that the direction of Linux is being set by large
corporations:  the kind of organizations who can hire a team of ten
kernel hackers to make the system reliable.

    If you want a reliable OS,  switch to Windows.