RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jan 18 15:23:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 16:08 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 16:04 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > >
> > > The Fedora Legacy project already does that and does it rather well. Why
> > > would it be any different if a Red Hat person was notionally doing it ?
> >
> > As I see it, it's "having to change your system to change it again a
> > couple of months later".
> >
> > Probably most of these people do not want to use Legacy in longer terms,
> > but want to have see an overlap between 2 releases, because they skip
> > releases and are afraid of seeing a gap between these releases.
> >
> > Another difference is marketing. "FC3 by RH" sounds differently than
> > "FC3 by Legacy".
>

> ... but.. FC3 isn't by RH. It's by the Fedora Project.

That's what RH wants to make people believe. Reality is different - FC
is directed, maintained and provided by RH. FE is the community provided
set of packages, a "Fedora Project" isn't much more than a marketing
bubble.

>  Fedora Legacy is
> also under the Fedora Project....
Name make a differences. If RH simply provided the packages on the same
directories, on the same servers and would exchange the personell from
"RH to Legacy" underneath, probably nobody would notice.

Ralf