RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 18:25:34 UTC 2006

> [Not speaking on behalf of Red Hat or Fedora Foundation]
>
> Thank for you stepping up to post a development concern to the
> development list (that is obvious to me but apparently not to many others)

You're welcome.

> What are users really concerned about?. Are they concerned about
> receiving continuous updates from the Fedora Project or the quality of
> the Fedora Legacy updates?. I have been completed defeated in my attempt
> to get the answers from fedora-list on this one or maybe I am being too
> thick. If it is just the idea of continuously providing updates by
> enabling a smooth transition, I am very much in favor of providing a
> legacy repository enabled by default or pushing a yum update that
> enables it just before the transition of a release from core to legacy.
> Since users are already trusting community members to do good quality
> packaging work in Fedora Extras I dont see a single reason not to do
> this for legacy.  On the other hand, if the users are concerned about
> the quality of the updates from Fedora legacy project, the answer is not
> adding additional burden of release cycle maintenance to Red Hat but
> stepping up to improve the QA and packaging work done within legacy.

My concern is pretty simple:
A FC3 user might miss the legacy hand-over message (or be unaware of the
steps required to switch to legacy) and simply wait for the first FC5
reviews to appear, being an-aware to the risks linked to leaving his OS
essentially unsupported.
If it would have been possible to:
A. Notify the user that FC3 support has been handed over to Fedora
Legacy the next time he/she runs yum(ex)/pirut/etc.
B. Give the user an automated tools to switch over his yum configuration
to Fedora Legacy. (Including required PGP keys, yum.repo.d files, etc)
C. As people suggested before me, the "Fedora Legacy" name is... well...
problematic. People don't like being Legacy. "Fedora Long-Term Support"
project?

Gilboa