RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Wed Jan 18 18:43:03 UTC 2006

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 22:07 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>>FC X goes legacy when FC Z test 2 gets released. Always been policy.
>>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ
>>

>Pardon, but is Fedora under RH's dictatorship and has to take RH's
>decisions for granted? Or is Fedora a "community driven project" and
>decisions are subject to the community?

Not all decisions are subject to the community. No proprietary software
is likely to go into Fedora regardless of how many community members
want it for example. Those are project policies that wont change.
Consider that dictatorship if you will. Red Hat merely tells you that it
wants to spend its not so unlimited resources into into maintaining the
release upto a certain point. Its upfront about that with well defined
policies. Now the community on the whole neednt limit itself to the
release updates that Red Hat wants to maintain.  They can coordinate and
extend the lifecyle of every single Fedora release using Fedora Legacy
project. Red Hat will likely do whatever it takes to enable the
transition between core and legacy to be as seamless as possible.  There
is already work being done to enable legacy repository by default which
should help a lot I think. We can look into supplying more active
notifications using the package manager etc.  We can consider a renaming
of the legacy project. You have to reregister domains, set up mailing
lists again, rewrite all references in various documentation all over
the place. Retranslate it etc so its not without its cost. Its open to
discussion though if its really important.

"There apparently is a strong end user demand for a change on release

cycles. So reiterating "old opinions" and the status-quo doesn't help
anybody and is counter-productive."

Everyone who is making a strong demand should be turning them into contributions for Fedora Legacy. Being a community project means that you dont be just consumers and demand but contributors and put your put your money where your mouth is. If there is any details missing on how to contribute to Fedora legacy, let us know and I will get them fixed ASAP.

--
Rahul