RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Jan 18 19:32:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 11:27 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> - Nitpick: There have been changes made to the EOL timeframe for at
> least two of the three FC releases so saying "Always been _policy_"
> isn't accurate.  ("This is what's happened in all past releases" would
> be more truthful.)

Um, no.  The EOL timeframe has never been date based.  It has always
been release based.  It has always been 'When the N+2 release hits
Test2'.  This has not changed.  The date in which N+2 test2 lands can
and will change, however this does _not_ change the policy of when N
goes to Legacy.  Please don't confuse release based w/ date based.

> - Of actual importance: Arjan's take is that the unexpressed policy is
> that FC X goes legacy a short time after FC Y so that FC Y can shake out
> any major bugs before people are forced to upgrade or EOL.  This has
> happened to coincide with FC Z-test2 but it really doesn't have any
> relation to the FC-Z timeframe.  It's strictly a FC X -> FC X+1
> relationship.
>
> One final point on wording and thought processes.  If people think that
> "legacy" is a loaded term, "end of life" is even worse.  If the work of
> supporting the distribution is just shifting from one part of the Fedora
> Foundation to another ("The Release Group" to "The Maintenance Group")
> then the release is _not_ ending.  EOL should be aplied when the
> Maintenance Group decides that they are going to stop support for that
> Core Release.  "Maintenance Mode" or some other buzzword can be applied
> to what actually happens when Red Hat stops spending manhours on the
> release and the Maintenance Group starts taking over.

There is some merit to this.  Within Legacy we should reconsider using
the term of EOL, and come up with a better way of describing this
process.