Proposed changes to Fedora Legacy Project

redhat at olen.net redhat at olen.net
Wed Jan 18 22:19:42 UTC 2006

2006-01-18 Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote

<snip lots of nice ideas>

Just a few ideas I had, reading the discussion about how to inform users that
the distribution has been moved to legacy status.

One could do one or more of the following:
- Make a new "firstboot" that could inform the user of any potential
  consequences of the change - and maybe a friendly, helpful description
  on how to upgrade.
  - This could even be advanced enough to give the user a "upgrade
    now"-button, downloading an initrd containing something similar to
    "boot.iso", adding a new default entry to grub.conf, and rebooting.
    (Ok, I realize this is maybe a bit beyond what is possible right
    now, but it _could_ be done).
- Change the startup-page of mozilla/firefox (for all of us who never
  get around to change the default "Fedora Core X release notes" page
  anyway).  And even add links to dowloads of a newer release.
- Change the gdm login-screen, and add a message that the user should
  consider an upgrade.
- Add a /etc/motd so also the admins of remote systems - only logging in
  with ssh will get the message

Rgds.

Ola Thoresen