RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Peter Gordon admin at ramshacklestudios.com
Thu Jan 19 03:22:37 UTC 2006

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> This being I suspect that most users will play the waiting game before
> making a decision. They'll wait for the FC5 release and check how it
> behaves before making a decision, which in turn, will leave them
> vulnerable to security exploits.
This is exactly what the Fedora Legacy project is for. They provide
security and major bugfix to older Fedora Core releases.

> 2. It has been suggested (in the fedora-list discussion) that the last
> official FC4 update will be a legacy yum configuration rpm that will
> ease/automate the transition to legacy. This sounds like a great idea to
> me. Is it possible?
I fully agree. Maybe this could be done with something such as an update
to fedora-release which configures (among others) Yum to use the Fedora
Legacy repositories and whatnot.

I'm presuming that keeping two distros patched and stable is a lot of
work for the hackers at Red Hat, much less keeping a development tree
going for the next release.

Also, (not to flame or taunt anyone for their awesome hard work) whether
one may like it or not, I believe that Fedora is meant to be a somewhat
fast-paced distribution. If a user wants a slower release cycle and
perhaps older packaging, then maybe he or she is better suited for
something like RHEL (or its no-cost alternative CentOS).

--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
GnuPG Public Key: 0xDA3634D7