RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 20:05:49 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, Christopher Aillon <caillon at redhat.com> wrote:
> Well, do we really want to sound too attractive?  Its effectively beta
> quality software.

We want it to be attractive to the right people, people who are aware
there are risks and with the experience to appropriately handle
themselves.  We want people to see that test release are rewarding
experiences to participate in, once you have the skills necessary to
appropriately handle them.

My silly skiing analogy was just the first thing that popped into my
head. I feel the allure of the black diamon calling to me, but I'm
sure as hell NOT attracted to black diamond trails because I'm very
sure I'd seriously hurt myself trying to run one. I'm very content
with my bunny slopes where I can't reach a life threatening downhill
velocity.

I could have used a white water canoeing analogy as well, though fewer
people would have understood the analogy. Running a class III rapids
in a tandem canoe is as potentially fun as it is dangerous, but I sure
as hell wouldn't do it without first being very comfortable canoeing
on flatwater and Class I and Class II rapids nor without scouting the
section of river for myself if not with an experienced guide.

If we really want to seriously brainstorm for new terminology, ideally
we want a headline description that many people inuitively understand
to mean
"Fun if I'm appropriately skilled. Assurdly deadly if I'm an
inexperienced thrill-seeker"

-jef"I hear Fedora Test release installation will be a new event at
next years X-treme games"spaleta