RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 20:50:16 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> wrote:
> No silver bullets I'm afraid but perhaps a comment on the download page
> about the expected life duration .. and maybe a "timer" in anaconda
> along the lines of "this version is more than 6 months old, there's
> probably a newer version available, are you sure you want to continue"
> would help. Dunno :-/

"timer" in anaconda...hmmmmm
Allow me to riff on that, what about some sort of notification flag
associated update notification fetching that starts counting from when
the current release changes.
For example, you turn on an existing fc6 system or installing an fc6
system a week after fc7 comes out. Anaconda or pup's notification
applet reaches across the net and pulls Core update metadata looking
for updates and gets some notification information which includes the
fact that fc7 became avaliable a week ago. Now whatever tool you are
using can present that information to the admin: "A new release of
Fedora Core has been out for 7 days, here is some reference
information about upgrading" or in anaconda perhaps something a bit
harsher " WTF are you installing this old fedora release now that FC7
has been available for a whole week!"  And then when FC6 goes into
whatever you want to call legacy mode, the same flagging mechanism can
be used to make another notification concerning the status change.

-jef