RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Fri Jan 20 09:24:29 UTC 2006

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 22:07 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>>FC X goes legacy when FC Z test 2 gets released. Always been policy.
>>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ
>
> Pardon, but is Fedora under RH's dictatorship and has to take RH's
> decisions for granted? Or is Fedora a "community driven project" and
> decisions are subject to the community?

Community discussion influences decision making, however one person,
or a handful of people coming forward and demanding something does not
mean that the demands will be agreed to and used simply because someone
demanded it.  Likewise, simply because someone's idea, request, feature
enhancement, etc. may not get accepted by the project, it doesn't mean
the project isn't open to discussion and community involvement.

For someone to say "because you do not do what I want you to do, you
are therefore not really an open community project", is just absurd.

If the Fedora Project took every single suggestion offered by the
community and just did what _everyone_ said without applying any
objective reasoning to it, and deciding to go with some ideas and
without some others, then it'd just be a random mishmash, pulled
in every possible direction by random people with different
agendas.

A lot of people don't seem to have even read the Fedora Project
mission statement/objectives from the postings that often show up
on the lists.  Often people suggest an idea which goes against the
Fedora Project's stated mission goals, which they think should be done
(usually to suit their own situation, or some small group of people
they are a part of), with complete disregard to the project's stated
goals.

On the fortunate side of things however, since Fedora Core is comprised
of OSS software, people are completely free to take the entire
distribution, and make their own project based from it, which may have
goals that are conflicting with, contradictory to, complementary to,
or otherwise from the goals of the Fedora Project.  There's really a
lot of choice available to everyone.  ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.