New artwork!

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Mon Jan 23 19:25:16 UTC 2006

> On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 19:40 +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > I'm partial to just "Fedora" it's easy to say, easy to remember and once
> > someone gets the idea that porting the Fedora base system to say the
> > OpenSolaris kernel (and you just know someone will do that at some point
> > for no other reason that. we can) it does not impose the Linux name.
> > Besides I was never a big fan of "Linux this and Linux that" naming
> > schemes, I run Fedora with the Fedora Desktop on top of it - currently
> > that just happens to be based on Linux and GNOME.
>
> I just have the opinion that 'Fedora' it self is too vague.  It covers
> the content, the project, the foundation, etc...  When trying to define
> what the distribution itself is, then you have to be a bit more
> descriptive.  Fedora Core was fine until things like Extras come up,
> especially when Extras will be available in the installer.

The same issue has come up in documentation - we refer to the OS on the
reader's computer as "Fedora", because it isn't strictly Fedora Core and
there isn't another agreed term, but it's not ideal.

I agree that Fedora Linux may cause future problems. "Fedora System" or
"Fedora Distribution" don't sound quite right to me as formal terms,
though.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA