FORTIFY_SOURCE for the kernel

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Jan 30 00:39:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 09:27:07PM +0100, Marcus Hartig wrote:
> 4.0.0 in the German pc magazine c't www.heise.de/ct where all expensive
> and different tests they made with -Os are much slower, than with -O2 or
> higher on a "normal" desktop system compiled.

Individually each -O2 performs better than -Os, cumulatively the results
are often quite different. You still need to get some careful tuning in -
eg I build gnome -Os but build the gdk pixbuf libraries -O2 because they
are so performance critical and small

> for myself from rawhide. A special baby is firefox, where -Os slows
> rendering down and I compile it with more better rpm opt flags.

Probably some bits could do with a tune for the right flags.

Alan