Locating a MIDI device file?

Anthony Green green at redhat.com
Tue Jul 4 20:39:12 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 09:12 -0500, Clark Williams wrote:
> I'm working on a function called find_midi_device() that returns the
> path to a midi device file and was wondering if anyone has done this
> and had any pointers for using HAL/D-Bus?

Hey Clark -

If you're going to use C, then I recommend using the ALSA APIs instead.

But I know how much you love java :-)  so I recommend using the
javax.sound.midi package provided in libgcj.  It provides a API for
querying installed MIDI devices and sending messages back and forth.
I will be super easy.

There's lots of sample code here:
http://www.jsresources.org/examples/midi_io.html

I wrote the MIDI code in libgcj, so just bug me if you have questions.

AG