new s-c-soundcard in rawhide

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Jul 7 14:14:22 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham (notting at redhat.com) said:
> > I've never heard anything about "Sound preference", so if there is
> > something like that can I read it somewhere?
>
> System->Prefereces->Sound under GNOME. KDE may have something else entirely.

So, looking at it some more, we've got at the moment:

1) system-config-soundcard - sets the default ALSA device for all users, by
  writing a system-specific config file
2) gnome-sound-properties - sets the default ALSA devices for GNOME apps using GStreamer,
  by changing GConf keys that apps read. Per-user. Allows you to set different
  devices for different types of apps.
3) KDE Control Center->Sound & Multimedia - sets the default output for arts
  to ALSA/OSS/esd/none
4) I'm sure KDE4 and Phonon will do something Entirely Different

Have we architected/designed how these will all fit together? Right now you can
change things and test sounds in 3 different places, all of which could yield
different results.

Bill