Announcing Fedora Core 6 Test 1 (5.90)

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Sun Jul 9 08:43:32 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 16:38 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 10:27:55PM +0200, Andreas Thienemann wrote:
>
>  > Several legacy i586 systems are used as routers and I'd hate to leave them
>  > on FC5.
>
> The buildsys was tweaked a few days ago, and 586 kernels have been popping out
> since then.  test2 should be fine.

now to go a step further; cmov isn't actually a performance gain on any
cpu sold in the last year or two. Why ship the i686 kernel at all over
an i586 kernel? Why not ship ONLY a i586 kernel? I fully agree with the
goal of reducing the number of kernels... and in fact this is an
opportunity again to strike one of the more useless differences..