rawhide report: 20060716 changes

Mon Jul 17 06:39:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 08:42 +0200, Dan Horák wrote:
> Erwin Rol píše v Ne 16. 07. 2006 v 18:47 +0200:
> > I tried to update today and ran into a strange problem. After 1.2GByte
> > of updates were downloaded and the updating started at some point things
> > didn't continue;
> >
> >   Updating  : mkinitrd                     ################### [ 994/2526]
> >   Installing: kernel                       ################### [ 995/2526]
> >
> > At this point nash was using 100% CPU, i let it run for +30mins but no
> > change, than i killed it with CTRL-c.
> >

> In the same situation I have killed only the nash process and then the
> update was successfully finished.

Are you sure ? I mean is your new kernel installed correctly ? Is your
grub.conf file updated correctly.

Of course it is a bit worrisome that a CTRL-c to stop a yum update can
leave behind such a mess, instead of cleaning up more correctly, like it
can when a single package stage (the killing of nash) fails. I mean
noway in hell would "my mother" been able to fix this system, and those
ppl (like i did) certainly will first try to hammer CTRL-C when
something hangs.

> > When i tried to update the kernel after that it said there where no
> > updates, becuase it was already installed. This seems weird to me
> > because the %post part of the RPM was not finished correctly and still
> > rpm thinks the update was done. After rpm -e the last half updated
> > kernel i tried again with just "yum update kernel" and it hung again
> > with nash at 100% CPU.
>
> And I have SELinux in permissive mode on that machine.

SELinux is disabled on my machine, so that can't be it.

- Erwin