mirrorlist cgi

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue Jul 18 01:45:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 20:27 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 21:08 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> > > oh fair enough, but how does it "know" if
> > > http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/fedora.redhat.com/development/x86_64/
> > > is up-to-date or not?
> >

> > Read the check-mirrors.py script in the cvs link I pointed to earlier.
> >
> > In short - if it doesn't have the same repomd.xml as the mirror master
> > does then it's not current.
>
> Forgive my complete lack of mirror knowledge, but are mirrors told to
> rsync this file after the rest of the repo is updated?  Otherwise I
> would think you'd still catch mirrors in the middle of a repo update if
> not.

nope. A mirror could be in the middle of a sync. We cannot control HOW
the mirrors sync the data. We can't know. But this keeps users from
being bounced to sites with multiple, out of date metadata.
Additionally, if they're given a whole set of mirrors it means that the
mirrors they get will be 'roughly' more current then never pruning the
mirrors at all.

The only other option we have is checking every file and that will take
WAAAAAY too much time and bandwidth.

I'm open to other suggestions.
-sv