rawhide report: 20060719 changes

Kristian Høgsberg krh at redhat.com
Thu Jul 20 02:10:07 UTC 2006

David Nielsen wrote:
> ons, 19 07 2006 kl. 06:11 -0400, skrev buildsys at redhat.com:
>> New package compiz
>> 	OpenGL window and compositing manager
>
> Oh that's great news, I no longer have to compile this from the
> source.rpm.
>
> However I am unable to make xv work when running compiz for some reason.
> I'm using the r300 driver in case it matters. This means that gstreamer
> has to be set to No XV for totem to display videos and this is
> dreadfully slow.

Yes, Xv and direct rendering OpenGL are the two big feature regressions that
prevents us from pushing the composited desktop for real.  As it is shipped in
rawhide, compiz is still considered a "tech-preview", and requires that the
user explicitly enable it.  We do plan to make it easier to switch between
compiz and metacity on the fly, so you can switch to metacity for watching a
video and switch back when done.

Kristian