What happened to the smc-ultra kernel module? [Was: Re: What happened to the sk98lin kernel module?]

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 14:07:19 UTC 2006

On 7/20/06, Matthias Saou
<thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net>
wrote:
> Tarjei Knapstad wrote :
>
> > Just noticed that the sk98lin.ko module has gone missing in the later
> > FC4 kernels on one of my boxes, as well as all FC5 and development
> > kernels. Is this just an oversight/mistake? (I'm guessing it was lost
> > when the kernel was synched with the FC5 kernel a while back?)
> >
> > The last kernel I know of that includes it is 2.6.16-1.2115_FC4. I've
> > searched the mailing list archives and read the changelog, but the
> > drop isn't mentioned anywhere.
>
> This seems like the wrong list to ask this kind of question...

Too bad, because I was just going to ask the same about the smc-ultra module.
It disappeared late last year, and the changelog is silent about it.

To make matters worse, when I compile it myself, I get warnings like this

WARNING: /opt1/home/simon/kernel/kernel2.6.17_1.2145/smc-ultra.o -
Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between
'init_module' (at offset 0xbf) and 'ultra_close_card'

Andras