Pull off AIGLX repoistory?

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Tue Jul 25 22:18:59 UTC 2006

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>> Mike A. Harris wrote:

>>> Yes, we are planning on releasing Xorg 7.1 as an FC5 update, however
>>> there is no specific timeframe planned.  Once 7.1 has achieved what we
>>> consider to be adequate testing, and we feel that the majority of the
>>> worst bugs/regressions are worked out, we'll then be ready to consider
>>> doing an update.  After that, we just need to schedule the time to
>>> actually rebuild the packages and make any FC5 specific tweaks that
>>> may be needed.
>>>
>>> So just sit back and wait, and eventually 7.1 should come out for FC5.
>>
>> Since the 7.1 release isn't compatible with the current proprietary
>> drivers of both NVidia and ATI shouldn't this at least wait until
>> compatible versions are released? Breaking support for these drivers
>> doesn't sound right for a released version that is considered stable.
>
> The opposite of what you suggest is actually better for people who
> _do_ use those 3rd party proprietary drivers.  The sooner Fedora ships
> X.Org 7.1 to a massive number of users out there, the sooner those
> massive number of users start using it, and if the proprietary drivers
> do not work with it, then those users will flood Nvidia/ATI/whoever's
> web forums, bug trackers with tonnes of problem reports, issues, etc.
>
> Proprietary vendors tend to allocate resources based upon supply and
> demand, as that is what drives their economic forecasts.  When the
> demand for something crosses a given threshhold, the vendor kicks into
> action.
>
> In the ideal situation, there wouldn't be any proprietary drivers.
> Second to that however, would be vendors supporting new X releases
> immediately, as soon as X.Org releases them, perhaps even beta releasing
> their drivers for the X betas.
>
> Unfortunately, the ideal situation is not the real-world situation.
> Once Fedora provides them with the "demand", you can mark my words that
> within a few weeks or so they'll provide the users with "supply".
>
> Fedora does not support proprietary drivers at all, and never has, nor
> has any Red Hat OS that preceded it.  Our OS products are not held
> hostage to the release schedule whims of 3rd party proprietary driver
> suppliers.
>
> Part of the decision of choosing proprietary software, is making a
> concious decision that you are held hostage by the vendor of that
> software to provide you with support for it.  That unfortunate
> limitation should not expand to encompass all users of open source
> software.  If that happens, everyone loses.
>
> As long as I have the ability to do so, I pledge to do my part to make
> sure proprietary software of _ANY_ kind, drivers or otherwise, does
> not hold open source software users hostage or delay or restrict
> open source software promulgation.
>
> I kindof feel like staying up all night tonight now, and releasing 7.1
> for FC5 on Wednesday.

So basically you say that since you cannot attack the vendors directly you
choose to do so by proxy by...kicking your own users in the balls? While
I'm not exactly a friend of these vendors myself I consider this behaviour
not quite ethical.

If FC5 hadn't supported the proprietary drivers in the first place then I
wouldn't see a problem here since the users had a choice of upgrading
to/installing FC5 with that fact in mind but now many of these users will
upgrade their system (which they assumed to be reasonably "stable" because
they thought an FC5 release is *not* like rawhide) only get their X11 nuked
by that upgrade.

I'm all for a "we don't care about proprietary vendors" attitude in rawhide
but I don't think it's healthy to show such a lack of loyality towards the
FC release userbase.

Regards,
   Dennis