Pull off AIGLX repoistory?

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 14:18:48 UTC 2006

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:48:28 -0700, you wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 00:18 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>> If FC5 hadn't supported the proprietary drivers in the first place
>> then I
>> wouldn't see a problem here since the users had a choice of upgrading
>> to/installing FC5 with that fact in mind
>
>I think you have that backwards. nvidia and ATI decide whether or not
>it's worth it for them to release binary drivers targeted at any
>particular distro release. The Fedora Project, whether in a core release
>or rawhide, makes no pretense at "supporting" those drivers.

It is not a question of Fedora supporting binary drivers, but rather
the expectation of a user that once they install a released version of
Fedora that they can expect the system to remain "stable" until they
choose to upgrade to a newer version.

Any update should not be pushed out to a release that breaks the users
system, whether it be a binary driver, binary application, or even
custom scripts that depend on a given version of a language/library
that breaks.

If X.Org 7.1 is made available as an official upgrade to Fedora 5 when
the Fedora Project/Red Hat are aware that it will break systems that
are in use across companies and institutions then Fedora will lose
credibility and trust with the administrators of those systems, which
will damage the reputation of Fedora/Red Hat, as well as convince
those organizations to look into alternatives where stability within a
release is valued as it used to be with Red Hat.