Pull off AIGLX repoistory?

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Thu Jul 27 05:13:09 UTC 2006

Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:23:04 +0200, you wrote:
>
>>> If X.Org 7.1 is made available as an official upgrade to Fedora 5 when
>>> the Fedora Project/Red Hat are aware that it will break systems that
>>> are in use across companies and institutions then Fedora will lose
>>> credibility and trust with the administrators of those systems, which
>>> will damage the reputation of Fedora/Red Hat, as well as convince
>>> those organizations to look into alternatives where stability within a
>>> release is valued as it used to be with Red Hat.
>> by this argument Fedora wouldn't be able to release updated kernels
>> including those with urgent security fixes.
>
> But we are not talking about a security fix.
>
> Obviously a security fix would take priority, and I would hope that
> both it and bug fixes could be done without breaking peoples systems.
>
> But the discussed release of X.Org 7.1 is a feature enhancement, and
> one being considered by the maintainer with the deliberate goal of
> breaking existing systems running F5.  That is not fair to the people
> running F5.

As I stated previously, there is no deliberate breakage of anything
happening.  It is complete indifference, because proprietary drivers
are not supported at all period.  They may or may not break when
new package updates are released, in particular for the kernel and
X.  If they do, you get to keep both pieces.

Don't run Fedora Core at all if you can't deal with this.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.