Pull off AIGLX repoistory?

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Thu Jul 27 05:33:15 UTC 2006

Otto Rey wrote:

> And if one of the critical security patches has dependancies on X, what
> then?

It isn't clear exactly what you're asking here.

> That brings up another unasked question...
>
> When you update X 7.1, what else has to be updated?

The X11R7.1 update will include all of the individual rpms which
comprise the 7.1 update.  There may (or may not) be a few additional
packages that need to be released as well if 7.1 has dependencies on
newer system packages than are in FC5.  I have not yet done a dep
scan to determine what if anything else needs updating, but having
done major X updates to an OS in the past, the list is generally
zero or very small.  I think we had to update freetype and/or
fontconfig before.

> I would assume GTK and Qt.

No.

> What else?

Nothing.

> Anything using Xlib directly?

No.

> All X apps?

Absolutely zero.

> Just how big of an update is that going to be?

Count the src.rpm packages that comprise the modular X11R7.1 release in
rawhide.  Since 7.0, a couple of packages have been dropped (LBX,
libxkbui, libdps, libdpstk, and a few other minor things), and a few
have been added (a number of drivers).  As mentioned above, it is
possible that 1 or 2 other subdependencies may need updating.

People are really overreacting about this.  It's almost as if people
have absolutely nothing better to do than to make up fantasy conspiracy
theories, and reinvent their own Salem witch trials.

X is X.  The X11 protocol has been around for over 15 years, and it
remains as compatible today as it ever has been.  A new version of
X11 is 100% backward compatible with previous releases (with the
possible exclusion of deprecated features long since dead, such as
XIE and PEX which were dropped years back, and similar).

An X11 program built today, will connect to an X11 X server in
Fedora Core 59 with X.Org X11R27.8 and work perfectly fine.  If it
does not, then the protocol has been broken, and it is a bug, or
it is no longer "X11".

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.