rawhide report: 20060727 changes

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jul 27 13:42:19 UTC 2006

Ralf Ertzinger <fedora <at> camperquake.de> writes:
> That depends. AFAIK helix is the only usable output engine for amarok
> in Extras at the moment.

"usable" is pretty relative here. Yes, it supports Ogg Vorbis, but otherwise...

There are no non-proprietary plugins available (that I know of), even for
unencumbered formats. (There's MP3 and Real Audio support in the proprietary
RealPlayer packages. I'm not listing Video formats because they're not relevant
for Amarok.) It doesn't even support FLAC (at all, with or without proprietary
RealPlayer stuff). FLAC is not patent encumbered. Similarly, Musepack was
accepted into Extras as unencumbered, but there's no support for it available
for Helix.

        Kevin Kofler