Fedora's intended target audience?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Jul 27 14:55:43 UTC 2006

Rahul wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>>
>> Anyways I explicitly asked not to discuss this in this thread this
>> belongs in a seperate thread.
>>

> Your whole discussion is tied to the argument that since we are
> potentially breaking non-free drivers, noone would use Fedora. I can't
> see how we can have the discussion now without considering the premise.

No, this was the proverbial drop of water that made the bucket flow over
(Dutch proverb). The thing I want to discuss is the general impression
that Fedora Developers (both RH and Community ones) are loosing sight of
end users and are doing things purely on their technical merits even if
this hurts the end users. This xorg update is but one example.

Also I'm not alone in this, I've received private mail backing me, but
people are afraid to back me publicly because they have tried to discuss
this in the past and instead of having a healthy discussion they got flamed.

> Anyway, I hope the objectives page
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives) answers you on your question
> regarding target audience. Its fluid but I dont think we need to
> restrict our definitions too much.

The name of that page describes perfectly what it is a list of
Objectives. A good list, which with I can fully agree, but it doesn't
properly define our target audience. The closest to a target audience
definition I can find on this page is: "built for and by a community"

Which I find a rather narrow definition, so people who do not contribute
are not part of our target audience? Them I'm most definetly putting
large amounts of time into the wrong distro.

Regards,

Hans