Fedora target audience, what about the research area? (was Re: Leaving?)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Jul 28 17:48:22 UTC 2006

Le vendredi 28 juillet 2006 à 12:30 -0400, Jesse Keating a écrit :
> On Friday 28 July 2006 12:27, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Of course they want to spend their research money on lab experiments,
> > not sparcstations or RHEL WS
> >
> > Of course they want something their students can run in their room.
>
> Enterprise themed distributions need not cost money.  Surely you understand
> that and know of the options out there...

Which is why I totally understand they run Fedora. Sorry.

They've been in the game long enough to know they don't have the volume
effects of multinationals, and the fat discount a vendor will give them
today may vanish a few years later.

Also entreprise distros are a very bad fit for research (entreprise
research or education sector research). The users population can't stand
them.

(and lastly given the central role these institutes play in the French
IT sector, and that most of past and present French FLOSS contributors
passed through them, if I were a Red Hat marketing guy I'd be ordering a
truck of champaign bottles after learning they run Fedora. Not a reason
to postpone the Xorg 7.1 push, but certainly a reason to listen to what
they say)

--
Nicolas Mailhot