PROPOSAL: restructure the choice of input methods

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Sat Jun 3 03:39:13 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 10:57:55PM +0900, Akira TAGOH wrote:

> My proposal is:
> - input methods that has supported the different input method
>   engines for different languages or has such framework,
>   only provides the alternatives name, xinput-default.
<snip>
> - xinput.sh reads only xinput-default (and .xinputrc for the
>   user-specific thing) and stop to find ll_CC things against
>   current locale. according to the above reasons.

So, I agree that this makes sense for things like scim and uim;
since they have internal configurations and can work for lots of
different languages (and aren't tied to a particular locale or
language like XIM -- even the XIM implementations for uim and scim
can only work with one language at a time).

If I understand your proposal, this would mean that some default
input method (whether scim or uim) would be started in all locales,
even though that typical don't need it or don't use it currently.
That's actually helpful for people like me who run in en_US locale
but want to use an input method for Japanese or other languages
occasionally.  For people who normally don't use input methods at
all, would this cause a problem, or would it be configured so that
the default would be essentially no input method?  People who aren't
used to input methods could be very confused if Shift+Space or something
else started turning on an input method.

John Thacker