binaries and libries in /lib /bin depends on/usr

Robert Scheck fedora-devel-list.listman at linuxnetz.de
Sun Jun 4 16:56:36 UTC 2006

Hello Rex,

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006, Rex Dieter wrote:
> All speculation of course (I'd suggest you check your facts... hint: RPM
> upstream maintainer works @ Red Hat).

about which RPM upstream maintainer are you talking? Even I still believe,
that there is only one real RPM guy for years now and this is Jeff. Or is
there somebody else I missed? I'm talking the whole time about that RPM
upstream maintainer, pushing new RPM versions at www.jbj.org/pub/. But the
new official URL for this is www.wraptastic.org/pub/rpm-4.4.x and -devel
for development snapshots.

Slap me using all printed RPM guides the world ever has seen, but Jeff
isn't working for Red Hat - at least since July 2005 (maybe even longer).
And sorry, I don't remember the name of his new employer but it supported
him concerning the rollback support in RPM >= 4.4.5.

Oh and if you're meaning Paul...he's most of the time "only" merging and
backporting stuff from RPM upstream into the Fedora RPM mess (sorry, but
did you ever have a look into the patches and compared with upstream?). And
when skipping the backporting patches, there are AFAIK (!) things and other
stuff which never got and never will get into upstream RPM. And this for
very good reasons. One out of many examples for this statement is Red Hat
Bugzilla ID #182998.

Greetings,
  Robert

p.s.: I know, there are already two correct answers on the mailing list
concerning this, but deleting this mail would have been a great pity...