UnleashKDE

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Jun 5 17:05:34 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Rex Dieter (rdieter at math.unl.edu) said:
>> Rex Dieter wrote:

>> > The "plan" is simply a proposal, and certainly nothing has been
>> > finalized.
>>
>> See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnleashKDE
>>
>> > it's going to be a piecemeal process... e.g. qt4,kdetoys are (already)
>> > in Extras.
>>
>> Speaking of which, IMO, here's a list of kde bits that are very
>> Extras-worthy:
>> kdeaddons
>> kdeadmin
>> kdeartwork (since xscreensaver -> Extras)
>> kdebindings
>> kdeedu
>> kdegames
>> kdeutils
>> kdewebdev
>>
>> 2nd tier bits:
>> kdegraphics
>> kdemultimedia
>> kdenetwork
>> kdepim
>> kdesdk
>> kdevelop
>>
>> lastly, core/esential bits:
>> kdebase
>> kdelibs
>>
>> and if you're *really* wild: (doubt this will ever happen)
>> qt(3.3.x)
>
> Are these all distinct dependency-wise?

Mostly.  Exceptions below:

essential kde-pkg: BuildRequires
---------------------
arts:    qt-devel
kdelibs: qt-devel arts-devel

(*) Given for kde-3.x: Everything BuildRequires: kdelibs-devel
kde-pkg BuildRequires(*)
-------------------
kdeaddons: kdebase-devel kdegames-devel kdemultimedia-devel kdepim-devel
kdeartwork: kdebase-devel
kdesdk: kdepim-devel
kdevelop: kdesdk-devel

Core apps depending on kde (with BuildRequires):
k3b:    kdelibs-devel
Am I missing anything?

> How does it improve the value proposition to have bits in extras,
> as opposed to the whole thing?

None, I was just advocating an incremental move to ease the pain and
suffering... (:

-- Rex