Core rebuild in mock - BuildRequires - rpmdiffs normal ?

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 6 03:02:59 UTC 2006

David Timms wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>>> I did read that one of the points of rpm packaging was to have
>>> repeatable package builds. While this doesn't seem to fit this
>>> scenario, perhaps it is normal when re-compiling an i386 package on
>>> an AMD Athlon with possibly updated libraries / compilers etc (from
>>> mock devel as well) that the built binaries would change (eg, even if
>>> it was just text fields like:
>>> # abcdtool
>>> Built on blah machine on Fri blah) ?
>>
>> elfutils has a tool to compare two binaries and see if they're different
>> for real; eg ignoring usual "elf noise" ;)
> OK,
> # eu-elfcmp ncopy mock/ncopy
> eu-elfcmp: ncopy mock/ncopy differ: symbol table [4]
>
> Can someone offer an interpretation of this ?
Still couldn't find any man/info/--help on these utils - any pointers
appreciated ;~)

Also, does the message indicate a difference at item [4] ?
Or that the table structure is [4] units long ?
Or that there were [4] differences ?
Or is there more than 1 eg[4] parts to the symbol table ?
Does eu-elfcmp exit on first difference, or does it continue until end
of the elf headers ?

DaveT.