Rawhide and ATI R3xx?

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Wed Jun 7 14:08:34 UTC 2006

Chris Adams wrote:
> What is the word on the latest X builds and the ATI R300 DRI driver?
> I'm (finally!) going to have some time to test rawhide, and since my
> notebook (Thinkpad Z60m) is one that locked up hard when loading it
> (before it was disabled for FC5), I figured I'd take a look in that
> direction.
>
> Basically, has anything changed since FC5 - is it enabled, might it work
> (or at least not kill my system)?  If it isn't currently enabled, how
> can I go about testing it to see if it has improved?

R300 DRI support is enabled in rawhide, and I'm loathe to turn it off
again, feels like running away from the problem.  WFM on an X800 (yes,
it works for R400 series cards too).  There's been some fixes in CVS but
they're tough to backport individually, I'm mostly waiting for a new
Mesa release before that can happen.

More broadly about the radeon support: Rawhide's radeon driver is
unpatched 6.6.0, which is the version included in Xorg 7.1.  FC5 however
went out with 6.5.7.3 and currently has 6.5.8 in either updates or
updates-testing, I forget which.  6.6.0 is better in most cases I've
found.  I probably won't be able to backport it to FC5 without also
backporting 7.1, which might be an unpopular move - new ABI in 7.1
breaks fglrx, etc.

The plan I'm currently considering is to push 7.1 to FC5 updates-testing
at the same time as FC6 test1.  I'm open to suggestions on the
scheduling there though.

- ajax