Request for comments: Laptop improvements

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Wed Jun 14 15:59:59 UTC 2006

Hello everyone!

First i'd like to apologize for the wide distribution, but i'd like to
get as much input for this project as possible.

So, whats this all about? Simple. I've recently took it upon me to start
working on improving how our distro works on latops. This includes
things like suspend/hibernate and resume, docking stations and
powersaving just to name a few.

Now, what i would like to ask of you is to give me some input on what
you think might be something where we could do better on laptops. So if
you could spare a few minutes and write me a short email with the
thoughts you have that would be greately appreciated.

2 things to keep in mind though:

1) Be as precise and detailed as possible. Emails like: "I want the to
work better" won't really help a lot.

2) Be serious and realistic about your ideas. Things like "I want them
to cook coffee for me" might be something nice (and actually, some
models already at least can keep coffee warm for you) but neither
realistic nor serious.

I'll collect and summarize all the info i get and will put it on the
Fedora Project page i've already set up for it (it's actually a SIG, but
thats just semantics).

Also, we'll be prioritizing the ideas that come in and try to work our
way through them, so don't expect every idea to appear soonish in the
distro.

If you want to get actively involved you can always look here at what
currently needs to be done (or even become a member yourself):

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SIGs/Laptop

or alternatively just join the Fedora laptop mailing list:

I'm looking forward to get some feedback,

Thank you very much,

Read ya, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch      | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Development          | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111