Request for comments: Laptop improvements

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 21:00:29 UTC 2006

> I currently use swsusp2 (http://www.suspend2.net) with the rpms from
> http://mhensler.de/swsusp/download_en.php on my rather old Inspiron
> 3800. It works almost perfectly. I think a previous version of
> software suspend is included in FC, but AFAIK swsusp2 seems to be
> much better.

Yes, but its not merged into the upstream kernel which is the Fedora
policy. From what I've read there was a power management summit
recently that cvered alot of this and there's plans to get it (or at
least some of it or equivilents upstream). I suspect when all the
power stuff happens this will also enable the shutting down of some
components of the systems for extended battery life etc. I also
suspect that projects like the OLPC project and probably others like
the Nokia 770 and various vendors looking at small handheld with speed
the development and adoption of this..... lets hope so :-)

Pete