hinting/autohinting in rawhide / FC6T1 fontconfig

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Jun 16 05:34:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 21:08 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Also does this mean we'll never use font hints even on well-hinted
> fonts ?

The hinting bytecode interpreter is patent encumbered, and has never
ever been available in stock Fedora or Red Hat. The autohinter has been
in use the whole time.

Besides, IMHO the autohinter looks way better than the real hinter on
most fonts. Years ago I tried rebuilding the freetype package with the
real hinter enabled. At typical screen sizes, the real hinter completely
changes the shape of the font, (And it did match the way windows/mac
rendered fonts) which was pretty much necessary to look good in the days
before subpixel anti-aliasing, but now that we're doing such, I find the
autohinter does a far better job of hinting the font to look good with
antialiasing, it seems to better preserve the font's overall "character"
so that smaller point sizes match up much better with larger sizes. I
don't miss the "real hinter" at all.