FC6 and macbook pro

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jun 21 19:16:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 14:16 -0400, Louis E Garcia II wrote:
> I am interested in running FC on a macbook pro. I just read that
> FC6test1 has early test code for these things. Does these include all
> the proper driver for video and wireless? The ATI X1600 video currently
> has no 2d or 3d drivers and I have no clue about the wireless chip. I
> would like to boot directly into FC without OS/X and bootcamp, this will
> probably involve efi for 32bit boxes. Is work being done in these areas?

On my Macbook Pro 15" I'm tripple booting FC5, Mac OS X and Windows XP
via Bootcamp and NTLDR as described here

 http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Triple_Boot_via_BootCamp

you want to follow these instructions to the letter btw. Except that I
installed via yum --installroot using target disk mode. I'm also using
the Atheros and fglrx drivers from Livna and everything works great
except that

 1. Audio is not working (there is patch somewhere)

 2. The Fn key is not working (I sent a patch to davej but it's not in
    FC5 updates yet)

 3. Suspend is not working (but I hear someone got suspend working
    on the Macbook)

 4. ATI's binary drivers are not compatible with latest X.org so
    I'm stuck on FC5.

Note also that you should use the grub from Rawhide as it got the
necessary patches (the one is FC5 updates is lacking the keyboard patch
IIRC). Once issues 1-3 is worked out this is going to be a very nice
machine for running Fedora. Now If only ATI would get their act
together.. it would be perfect.

    David