installation path for cross compiler

Thu Jun 22 06:26:58 UTC 2006

Hey all,

what would be the correct installation path for a cross-compiler and
it's support include files and libraries ?

For example a arm-unknown-linux-gnu-* toolset, this would include gcc,
binutils, include files, but also libraries compiled for the target
(which of course can not be used on the host and should not be mixed up
with the host libraries)

Should that go under something
like /opt/crosscompiler/arm-unknown-linux-gnu/
or something like
/usr/lib/crosstools/arm-unknown-linux-gnu/  because there is also
a /usr/lib/gcc/<arch>/ or
/usr/arm-unknown-linux-gnu/ or somewhere completely different ?

Locally i most of the time use some /opt/blabla/ setup, but I don#t
think official distribution packages belong in that place, at least
that's how I understand the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard.

TIA,

Erwin