strip in rpmbuild

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Jun 25 05:22:52 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 04:55 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> I am not sure Fedora should support toolchains endorsing proprietary
> OSes (Though MinGW is free, the OS underneath is not). I.e. from a
> Fedora focused POV all such a cross compiler does is "helping your
> enemy".

That's a bit silly. We already have Wine in extras. You can compile and
test windows binaries without needing a proprietary OS.

Being able to write software using a portable library like SDL, and
compile for Windows targets for my windows-using friends, on linux, is a
very good thing. It opens me up to a wider audience, yet I don't
actually have to touch windows, and it makes Linux (and Fedora) look
good. (Hay this is awesome, and you used only Linux to create it? I
didn't know it could do that. Maybe I should check out this Linux
thing...)

Its called interoperability. The only reason to stifle interoperability
is to lock your customers in to an inferior product. (Well, that and
maybe legal issues such as patent bullshit...)