strip in rpmbuild

Sun Jun 25 13:53:24 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 15:42 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 11:08 +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:

> > What i did was rebuild the mingw32 and w32api from the source, and was
> > wondering how you solved the circular dependencies,
> The standard approach would be to build a minimal gcc first, use this
> gcc to build a libc, then rebuild a "full gcc".

This is what i have done in my RPM, first build a temp gcc, with that
build the w32api and mingw-runtime, than rebuild gcc with those
libraries. It needed some tricks to get paths right, but seems to work.

> For newlib-based targets (such as rtems), a special exception exists:
> For them, newlib/libc can be built simultaneously with GCC.
Yes, there is some support like that for cycwin too, but that wasn't
usable for mingw.

> >  of course when using
> > the binaries there is no circular dependency :-)
> Exactly. It also has another advantage: Nothing can be "more original"
> than the "original" - I.e. why rebuilding target libs when you can use
> the original files?

Because those "target libs" are open source (wrapper) libs and have to
be build by someone, this is very different from a closed source UNIX
you mentioned where you don't have any other option but to use the
closed source libraries. And the "original" in this case would be
Microsoft libraries, and not some hacked up mingw-runtime and
w32api ;-)

- Erwin