rawhide report: 20060624 changes

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jun 25 13:56:00 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 15:44 +0200, Leszek Matok wrote:
> Dnia 25-06-2006, nie o godzinie 18:53 +0530, Rahul Sundaram napisał(a):
> > rpm is a low level tool
> > Its generally a good design not to expose all of
> > the functionality in higher level tools
> True, but yum is a dep-resolver and rpm-downloader. I expect it to allow
> me to specify version of a package I want to have (either upgrade to
> newer, but not newest, or downgrade to older), then check if it can
> satisfy all the dependencies with that version. I don't want it to have
> --nodeps nor real --force, only something like rpm --oldpackage and rpm
> -F package-version.rpm (now it's equivalent to say rpm -F package-*.rpm
> and selects the newest).
>
> If the dependencies can be satisfied and I want to test some package
> version (because I want to see which version introduced a bug I'm
> reporting on bugzilla, helping you fix it), there's no reason not to let
> me do it. It's far from rpm -e --nodeps glibc, you know :)
>
> Telling users on the list to use rpm --force --nodeps --whatever instead
> of yum install package-older-version is teaching them bad things and is
> more harmful.

Have you actually requested this functionality anywhere? We are talking
about two different things here. For this particular problem, simply
removing the older version of nfs-utils helps resolve it. It doesnt
require any rpm command command at all, not to mention, no use of
arguments like --nodeps and --force and that isnt being advocated by any
developers.

> Oh, and a real high level tool is a gui to yum, which doesn't have to be
> able to downgrade.

I am sure some users are going to want it nevertheless.

> At least if I'm using yum (middle level ;)) to
> downgrade something I'm more confident it won't break anything (or tell
> me if downgrading is not possible).
>
> Lam

Rahul