strip in rpmbuild

Sun Jun 25 16:25:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 17:31 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 15:53 +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:

> > > Exactly. It also has another advantage: Nothing can be "more original"
> > > than the "original" - I.e. why rebuilding target libs when you can use
> > > the original files?
> >
> > Because those "target libs" are open source (wrapper) libs and have to
> > be build by someone, this is very different from a closed source UNIX
> > you mentioned where you don't have any other option but to use the
> > closed source libraries.
> To me, rebuilding something just because it can be done, is
> overengineering, because
>
> 1. There is no guarantee these cross built files will identical to the
> "original" files.
> 2. You are building cross, to run these files on a target system, i.e.
> these files must be provided by somebody for the "target system".
> 3. Target files from a Linux perspective are just "meaningless binary
> data files", just like any other binary files (jpegs, sound files).

Over-engineering or not, binaries have nothing to do in source rpms,
especially not for an open source distribution like Fedora. And since
they can be build from the source, there is no need for binaries in the
first place. So to me using the binaries just sounds like
lazy-engineering to me ;-)

> >  And the "original" in this case would be
> > Microsoft libraries, and not some hacked up mingw-runtime and
> > w32api ;-)
> Well, mingw does not have any build-time dependency on M$-libs. It only
> has implicit run-time deps on M$-libs.

So the whole thing can be build on a Fedora without a problem, no need
for Microsoft tools or OS what so ever.

But anyway to end the endless convo, i will just build the things i want
and if someone else is interested in them they are welcome to use the
things i build.

- Erwin