HOWTO: Properly downgrade a package (was: Re: rawhide report: 20060624 changes)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jun 26 04:23:33 UTC 2006

seth vidal <skvidal <at> linux.duke.edu> writes:
> > That's it.  No --force --nodeps needed.
> >
> > With RPM itself, use --oldpackage rather than --force --nodeps.
>
> what, exactly, do you think synaptic does when you do 'force version'?

Definitely not a --nodeps (apt/synaptic never does that). And I haven't looked
at the source code, but I think it does an --oldpackage rather than a --force.
If I'm not mistaken, --force can overwrite conflicting files and stuff like
that, it's really a "shoot me in the foot" switch, --oldpackage is a lot safer.

        Kevin Kofler