HOWTO: Properly downgrade a package (was: Re: rawhide report: 20060624 changes)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jun 26 04:28:05 UTC 2006

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler <at> chello.at> writes:
> Definitely not a --nodeps (apt/synaptic never does that).

I should be more precise. What I picked up from previous discussions is that
apt used to verify dependencies itself and then use --nodeps with RPM, but that
it no longer does that. (Panu, if you read this: Is that correct?) But what is
sure is that something, either apt or rpm itself, always verifies dependencies,
apt never allows any dependency to be broken, it also completely refuses to
operate on a package database with broken dependencies, the only operation you
can do with such a database is "fix broken dependencies" (which tries to
upgrade packages to fix dependencies, and if that fails, deletes them).

        Kevin Kofler