Moving ImageMagick to Extras?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jun 26 12:32:33 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 10:55 +0200, Jos Vos wrote:

> -  What about QA?  I'm fearing that the QA for the Extras packages
>    is not the same as for Core.  Is that right, or...?  At least
>    I've already seen Extras packages (don't remember which ones)
>    that seem of pretty poor quality (packaging-wise).

The fedora project until recently did not have any employees dedicated
to QA.  Now we have Will Woods, who's major goal is to grow a community
around QA.  This community should be focused on ALL fedora packages, not
just Core packages.  Getting the package out of the hands of somebody
who doesn't really care about it, was just assigned the package, and
into the hands of somebody who actually cares about it can only improve
the quality IMHO.

> -  The relation between FC and RHEL.  I think there is officially
>    no relation, but I can't suppress the thoughts that there is one.
>    I've already seen good-old "nmh" being removed from FC and RHEL.

RHEL is built from a FC base, that is no mystery.  However there is no
reason why RHEL packages can't come from Extras.  RHEL really is a
snapshot and as such a package version from Extras can be imported in,
and then bugfixes and security fixes backported to that version.
Getting the package in much better shape in Extras before it is time to
build a RHEL only improves the quality of the package in RHEL.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora