Anaconda based on yum in FC6 ??

thingsmith at comcast.net thingsmith at comcast.net
Wed Jun 28 03:58:06 UTC 2006

A couple of things.

I did not say that yum sucks.  In fact, I like yum.  Since I have learned how to do this I have set up my own private repository and am using a variant to do configuration management for my server farms.

What I am commenting on is the assumption made in FC5 that every one by default is connected to broadband internet connections.   I would not like to see this assumption carried forward to FC6.   Internet access statistic do not support this as one that support that vast majority of users.  In fact, this does not even support the majority of the users.

On the FC6 page,  one of the considerations is to have Anaconda back-ended by yum and I know that yum can only work to respository such as web sites or directories,  I am curious to understand how this modification will work.

As for a specifc complaint,  my compliant is the basic assumption that every who installs FC  has  broadband access to the internet.  The information that I have seen show that in 2003 of the 105 M homes with internet access only 33 M had broadband.

So beside my case where I do not have any external internet acces,  I have seen similar comments on the bug reports about people who only have dial-up having to do multiple yum configuration files to overcome the assumption.

--
Harry Smith
thingsmith at comcast.net

From: dragoran <dragoran at feuerpokemon.de>