Anaconda based on yum in FC6 ??

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 29 13:53:23 UTC 2006

Harry Smith wrote:

> From your comments, am I to assume that before FC6 is finished that
> the further work and the bugs will be solved that allow yum to work
> form a set of CDs  and not the file or internet connection as
> presently required?

Thats the plan.

> If you are say that the now such assumption that everyone would have
> an internet connection why was the change made that by default adding
> and subtracting package would require an internet connection?

This is part of the effort to move away from up2date and solidify all
the package management tools based on yum. Yum by default is configured
in Fedora to connect to Internet repositories though you can very well
manually configure it to point to local repositories which Pirut will
honor. There wasnt enough time to complete the work to make Pirut and
Yum work with CD repositories by as a Pirut option during FC5
development time.

This is one of the commonly reported issues as documented here -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC5Common.

--
Rahul