Recommended laptop for FC5, was: glxgears

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Mar 1 10:33:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 08:47 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> go intel.. intel video is well supported and open
> (David will now say that it uses the bios to do mode setting and that
> it thus isn't fully open, but i'll ignore him for now :)

Binary-only code is binary-only code, whether it's shipped with the
system or whether you install it yourself. Have you been overdosing on
the Intel kool-aid since you joined them? :)

Seriously -- please don't refer to Intel video as 'open' because it
misleads people. That kind of misinformation led directly to me buying
the useless Intel hardware I now have in what's supposed to become my
MythTV box. You might just as well say that nVidia is 'well supported
and open' because you can use it with the VESA 'driver'. But we digress.

Personally, if I was buying a laptop and didn't care about games, it'd
still have to be a PowerBook. You even get reliable suspend/resume
without all that ACPI crap, and we have the built-in Broadcom wireless
working in the rawhide kernels too, now. The ATI r300 cards are
well-enough supported for 2D, and 3D is sort of on the way too.

--
dwmw2