Recommended laptop for FC5, was: glxgears

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Wed Mar 1 16:09:51 UTC 2006

On Wednesday, March 01, 2006 2:55 am, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 10:53 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> > David Woodhouse writes:
> >  > The ATI r300 cards are well-enough supported for 2D, and 3D is
> >  > sort
> > >
> > > of on the way too.
> >
> > Are they really supported?  On my PC I still get
>
> Yeah, 2D acceleration is OK if not perfect -- I'm slightly surprised
> by the lack of RENDER accel.
>
> 3D isn't working yet and the experimental 3D support has recently
> been disabled for FC5, but it's on the way.

Pick your poison.  With ATI chips you get open mode setting code but
very poor support for recent devices.  ATI doesn't release specs so
most of the ATI driver support is reverse engineered, and support for
very recent devices is pretty buggy as a result.

With Intel chips, at least you get open 2D and 3D code developed by
people with specs.  The modesetting stuff is still VBE-only
unfortunately (though Dave Airlie is working on changing that, as are
others I think), and really it's beyond Intel's control in many (most?)
cases since vendors are free to plugin whatever external interface chip
they want to the basic i9xx graphics hub whey they design their boards.

Jesse