Udev issues in today's coming rawhide

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Thu Mar 2 15:01:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:50:21PM +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> I hadn't realized my processor wasn't able to count anymore.  I'm not
> sure I want to upgrade to fc5 if it can't do basic arithmetic.  Or
> testing whether symlink(2) returns -EEXIST in a loop.

udev upstream deprecated the %e functionality and removed it from the
manpage (claiming that it had never really worked properly).  I had
thought it was supposed to still work, but it doesn't.

> Someone could explain me the point of /dev/cdrom-{devname} when you
> can use /dev/{devname} directly?

PAM in /etc/security/console.perms sets the console user to own the
CDROM devices on login. (Along with other devices, like the soundcard.)
We do not, in general, want to set the user who logs in as the owner
of all block devices, such as hard drives.  Thus we want some way to
distinguish which block devices are CD-ROMs that works for PAM on
login.

John Thacker