username best practices and other conventions

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 16:21:12 UTC 2006

I think it's time to move beyond those traditional limits. At some
point we got over the 14 char file name limits, and the world is a
better place for it.

I much prefer to spend a few more characters for clarity. Eg
'webalizer' -- I know exactly what that's about. It's for Webalizer.
'wbalizer', or 'webalize' or 'wlzpf82' or whatever you would use to
make it fit in 8 characters is likely not going to be so obvious.

As long as we don't start putting silly characters like spaces and
umlauts in there :-)

Joe.